A Guide To Choosing The Best Window Blinds
A Guide To Choosing The Best Window Blinds
Are you looking for the perfect window treatment for the windows in your home? Check out our guide to choosing the best window blinds.
Figuring out why you need window blinds is the key to choosing the best options. Well, the varied reasons for installing blinds are to enhance insulation, control light or improve visual aesthetic.
Blinds are usually harder than shades and can be completely or partially closed and opened. Typically, they come in a range of options to help you give your windows the right treatments. So, you want to consider how important light blocking and privacy are to you when making your decision.
In this post, we’re going to explore some advice and tips on how to choose the right blinds. Let’s get right into it?
1. Consider the Material
Depending on the look you want for your windows and space, you’ve have different options such as wood, faux wood, aluminium, vinyl, and composite materials. Keep in mind that the type of material also determines the cost.
- Wood: This can be painted, polished, or stained to complement your decor. Wood blinds are usually sturdy and beautiful, so expect to pay more. However, they’re not ideal for moist or cold areas, like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Faux wood: If you want less expensive options than traditional wood, faux wood blinds are great. They’re easier to care for and are not as susceptible to moisture issues. Faux options can make ideal alternatives for painted wood blinds.
- Aluminium: These blinds are the least expensive and come in a range of colours. They’re versatile and can suit almost any decor theme. Aluminium blinds are ideal if you want to add a metallic touch to your windows.
Typically, wood options are the most popular than aluminium blinds because they add a softer feel to the windows.
2. Think About the Types
When choosing window treatments, keep in mind that there are different types of blinds you’ll want to look at. Your choice can depend on the size and type of your window.
- Vertical blinds: These options stack off to the side, so they’re great for wide expanse windows. Some options come with overlapping slats to ensure additional privacy on naked windows. Plus, they’re highly decorative. You’ll find them in both vinyl and fabric materials.
- Horizontal: If you want an old-fashioned look for your windows, horizontal blinds are your options. They come in wood, faux wood, and aluminium materials. Horizontal blinds usually stack off at the top of the window.
- Mini-blinds: These blinds are not long in style, but offer privacy and block light just well. They’re great options if you love leaving your blinds up most of the time. Mini-blinds are available in different colours and materials such as vinyl and aluminium.
You’ll need to determine the right measurement for windows before purchasing blinds. Bear in mind that blinds can be installed inside or outside of the window casing.
3. Type of the Room
Not all types of blinds will work for just about any room in your house. For example, bathrooms require blinds that offer maximum privacy and are resistant to moisture issues.
If you have craft and studio rooms, you’ll need blinds that allow the penetration of maximum natural light. At this point, you should consider the number of slats on the blind and their sizes. You can opt for wood blinds for such rooms because their slats can be tilted to allow more light in.
For children’s and family rooms that are frequently used, you will need durable window blinds. As such, you’ll want to go with faux wood blinds for these rooms. They’re made from man-made materials, so they can’t fade, crack or warp easily. Faux options are also scratch resistant.
For safety, avoid using blinds that use cords in children’s rooms. For your bedroom, a bottom-up style or top-down privacy blind can be a great option. Bottom-up blinds allow you to cover the bottom part of the window leaving the top portion open.
4. Your Decorating Style and Decor
Don’t forget that your aesthetic scheme also has a role in selecting the most suitable blinds. So, is your space chic, casual, formal or rustic?
For a dramatic effect, choose blinds with bold colours. A good choice is either faux wood or aluminium blind. These blinds are versatile and come in wide range of colour options. Subtle colours are ideal for rooms with neutral and earthy schemes.
Opt for patterned vertical blinds if you want to give your space a plush and luxury touch. A house with a western theme or plantation-style decor will benefit from the beauty of horizontal, natural wood blinds.
Mini and standard blinds are versatile, and you can colour-coordinate them to appeal to any room. You can enhance their appearance with swags and valances to complete your room’s interior design.
5. Window Shape and Features
When it comes to the windows, you want to decide whether your blinds will be installed inside or outside of the frame. You’ll then need to measure the exact width of your windows at the top, bottom, and middle. These measurements are important when buying the perfect fit blinds.
First, ensure that the blind you buy matches your window shape. Rectangular windows are the most common, and there are just enough blinds for such shapes. Still, there are other shapes and sizes such as large, high, arch, skylight, and odd-shaped windows.
The location and position of your window are also another important factors. For example, windows that are overlooking a scenic view will need blinds that fully open and close. Windows that are very high or above your kitchen sink may not require blinds.
Window Blinds – The Takeaway
When looking for the right window treatments, consider the decor, room type, and windows of your home. Blinds come in varied styles, sizes, and colours to complete your space while ensuring privacy and light regulation.
Window blinds come with an adjustable rod that allows you to control the light entering your space. These treatments are priced based on size and material, so take the time to plan your budget. In some cases, you can consider custom patterns, sizes, features, and fabrics, and this will add to the cost.
Do you have any question on blinds? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.